• Only the author's initials are included regardless of the presentation of the author's name in the source document.
• Capitalisation practice should be consistent.
• Titles and subtitles of books are given minimal capitalisation.
• Only the first letter of the first word of the title and proper nouns (the names of peoples, place or organisations, etc.) are capitalised.
• Capitalise the "v" in Volume for a book title.
• Information about places of publication should folllow the guidelines for place names.
Standard format for citation
#. Author AA. Title: subtitle. edition (if not the first). Vol. (if a multivolume work). Place of publication: Publisher; Year. p. page number(s) (if appropriate).
#. Editor AA, Editor BB, editors. Title of work: subtitle. edition (if not the first). Vol. (if a multivolume work). Place of publication: Publisher; Year. p. page number(s) (if appropriate).
Single author or editor
1. Hoppert M. Microscopic techniques in biotechnology. Weinheim (Germany): Wiley-VCH; 2003.
2. Storey KB, editor. Functional metabolism: regulation and adaptation. Hoboken (NJ): J. Wiley & Sons; 2004.
Two or more authors or editors
3. Lawhead JB, Baker MC. Introduction to veterinary science. Clifton Park (NY): Thomson Delmar Learning; 2005.
4. Gilstrap LC, Cunningham FG, Van Dorsten JP, editors. Operative obstetrics. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2002.
5. Murray PR, Rosenthal KS, Kobyashi GS, Pfaller MA. Medical microbiology. 4th ed. St Louis: Mosby; 2002.
6. The Oxford concise medical dictionary. 6th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2003. 880 p.
7. Lee GR, Bithell TC, Foerster J, Athens JW, Lukens JN, editors. Wintrobes clinical hematology. 9th ed. Vol. 2. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger; 1993. 2324 p.
8. Unwin E, Codde JP, Bartu A. The impact of drugs other than alchohol and tobacco on the health of Western Australians. Perth: Dept of Health; 2004. (Epidemiology occasional papers series; No. 20).
Organisation as author
9. American Veterinary Medical Association. National Board Examination Committee. North American Veterinary Licensing Examination: bulletin of information for candidates. Bismarck (ND): The Committee; 2001.
10. Australia. Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs and Defence. Australian Gulf War veterans' health study 2003. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia; 2003.
11. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Disability, ageing and carers: summary of findings. Canberra: ABS; 1999. ABS publication 4430.0.
Please Note: Documents authored by government departments are cited following the jurisdiction they report to. Precede the department name with Australia., Western Australia., etc.
Scientific / Technical report
12. Lugg DJ. Physiological adaptation and health of an expedition in Antarctica: with comment on behavioural adaptation. Canberra: A.G.P.S.; 1977. Australian Government Department of Science, Antarctic Division. ANARE scientific reports. Series B(4), Medical science No. 0126.
Patent / Standard
13. Pagedas AC, inventor; Ancel Surgical R&D Inc., assignee. Flexible endoscopic grasping and cutting device and positioning tool assembly. United States patent US 20020103498. 2002 Aug 1.