• This information relates to journal articles from print sources.
• For journal articles from electronic sources, please see E-journals.
• Only the author's initials are given, regardless of the presentation of the author's name on the journal article.
• List the first six authors followed by et al.
• Capitalisation practice should also be consistent - capitalise only the first word of the article title, proper nouns and acronyms.
• The titles of journals should be abbreviated as they appear in the NLM Catalog.
• Volume, issue and page numbers are given but not labeled.
• To indicate a page range use 123-9, 126-34 or 111-222. If you refer to only one page, use only 111.
Standard format for citation
#. Author of article AA, Author of article BB, Author of article CC. Title of article. Abbreviated Title of Journal. Year;vol(issue):page number(s).
1. Drummond PD. Triggers of motion sickness in migraine sufferers. Headache. 2005;45(6):653-6.
2. Halpern SD, Ubel PA, Caplan AL. Solid-organ transplantation in HIV-infected patients. N Engl J Med. 2002;347(7):284-7.
3. Geck MJ, Yoo S, Wang JC. Assessment of cervical ligamentous injury in trauma patients using MRI. J Spinal Disord. 2001;14(5):371-7.
Journal article: More than six authors
4. Gillespie NC, Lewis RJ, Pearn JH, Bourke ATC, Holmes MJ, Bourke JB, et al. Ciguatera in Australia: occurrence, clinical features, pathophysiology and management. Med J Aust. 1986;145:584-90.
Journal article: No author
5. 21st century heart solution may have a sting in the tail. BMJ. 2002;325(7537):184.
Journal article: Organization as author
6. Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Hypertension, insulin, and proinsulin in participants with impaired glucose tolerance. Hypertension. 2002;40(5):679-86.
Journal article: Volume with supplement
7. Geraud G, Spierings EL, Keywood C. Tolerability and safety of frovatriptan with short- and long-term use for treatment of migraine and in comparison with sumatriptan. Headache. 2002;42 Suppl 2:S93-9.
Journal article: Issue with supplement
8. Glauser TA. Integrating clinical trial data into clinical practice. Neurology. 2002;58(12 Suppl 7):S6-12.
Journal article: Volume with part
9. Abend SM, Kulish N. The psychoanalytic method from an epistemological viewpoint. Int J Psychoanal. 2002;83(Pt 2):491-5.
Journal article: Issue with part
10. Ahrar K, Madoff DC, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Price RE, Wright KC. Development of a large animal model for lung tumors. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2002;13(9 Pt 1):923-8.
Journal article: Issue with no volume
11. Banit DM, Kaufer H, Hartford JM. Intraoperative frozen section analysis in revision total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop. 2002;(401):230-8.
Journal article: Forthcoming
12. Staartjes VE, Siccoli A, de Wispelaere MP, Schröder, ML. Do we need 2 years of follow-up? Spine J. Forthcoming 2019.