• See Book Chapters guidance page to reference book chapters, as this page has guidance for referencing whole books.
• Only the author's initials are included regardless of the presentation of the author's name in the source document.
• All authors or editors are listed unless the source document lists only primary authors followed by et al.
• Titles and subtitles of books are given maximal capitalisation (title case).
• Capitalise the "v" in Volume for a book title.
• Information about places of publication should follow the guidelines for place names.
• Include the DOI for e-books in your reference, if given.
• Do not include the protocol in the DOI (http:// or https://)
Standard format for citation
#. Author, A. A.; Author, B. B. Title of E-book; Series (if applicable); Publisher, Year. Internet address (accessed Year-Month-Day).
Authored e-book with DOI:
#. Author, A. A.; Author, B. B. Title of E-book; Series (if applicable); Publisher, Year. DOI:0000000/000000000000
Authored print work:
#. Author, A. A.; Author, B. B. Title: Subtitle, Edition (if not the first); Series; Publisher, Year; Vol. (if a multivolume work), pp page number(s) (if appropriate).
#. Editor, A. A., Editor, B. B., Eds. Title: Subtitle, Edition (if not the first); Series; Publisher, Year; Vol. (if a multivolume work), pp page number(s) (if appropriate).
Single author or editor e-book
1. Byrnes, M. E. Field Sampling Methods for Remedial Investigations, 3rd ed.; CRC Press, 2023. DOI: 10.1201/9781003284000
2. Matlack, A. S. Introduction to Green Chemistry; Taylor & Francis, 2010. https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/murdoch/detail.action?pq-origsite=primo&docID=1447049.
Single author or editor print books
3. Schmidt, L. D. The Engineering of Chemical Reactions, 2nd ed.; Oxford University Press, 2005; pp 71-88.
4. Hoppert, M. Microscopic Techniques in Biotechnology; Wiley-VCH, 2003; pp 145-158.
5. Stocker, J. H., Ed. Chemistry and Science Fiction; American Chemical Society, 1998.
Two or more authors or editors e-books
6. Singh, Y.; Strezov, V.; Negi, P. Biowaste and Biomass in Biofuel Applications.; Taylor & Francis, 2023. DOI: 10.1201/9781003265597
7. Mikkelsen, S. R.; Cortón, E. Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2nd ed.; Wiley, 2016. https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/murdoch/detail.action?docID=7104389.
Two or more authors or editors print books
8. Metzler, D. E.; Metzler, C. M. Biochemistry: The Chemical Reactions of Living Cells, 2nd ed.; Harcourt/Academic Press, 2003.
9. Sutton, R.S.; Rockett, B.; Swindells, P. G. Chemistry for the Life Sciences, 2nd ed.; CRC, 2009.
10. Beale, J. M. Jr., Wilson, C. O., Eds. Wilson and Gisvold's Textbook of Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, 12th ed.; Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2011.
11. Timberlake, K. C. Chemistry: An Introduction to General, Organic and Biological Chemistry, 10th ed.; Pearson Prentice Hall, 2009.
12. Graham Solomons, T. W.; Fryhle, C. B. Organic Chemistry, 9th ed.; John Wiley, 2008; pp 827-832.
13. McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Chemistry, 2nd ed.; McGraw-Hill, 2003; p 26.
14. Carey, F. A.; Sundberg, R. J. Advanced Organic Chemistry, 5th ed.; Springer, 2007; Vol. 2, pp 12-15.
15. O'Connor, N.; Lewin, K.; Moore, S.; et al. Sediment Chemistry: Macroinvertebrate Fauna Relationships in Urban Streams; LWRRDC occasional paper 15/99; Land and Water Resources Research and Development Corporation, 1999.
16. American Chemical Society, Committee on Analytical Reagents. Reagent Chemicals: Specifications and Procedures, 10th ed.; 2006.
Note: It is not necessary to repeat the publisher's name for a work compiled by the organisation that published it.
17. Australia. Commonwealth Department of the Environment and Heritage. Personal Monitoring of Selected Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): The Contribution of Woodsmoke to Exposure; Technical report no. 8; 2004; pp 6-12.
18. Western Australia. Department of Consumer and Employment Protection. Hydrochloric Acid Bath Chemical Reaction; Safety and Health Alert 25/95; 1995.
19. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Environment Protection Mining and Manufacturing Industries, Australia, 2000–2001; ABS publication 4603.0; Canberra, ACT, 2002.
Note: Documents authored by government departments are cited following the jurisdiction they report to. Precede the department name with Australia., Western Australia., etc. It is not necessary to repeat the publisher's name for a work compiled by the organisation that published it.
Scientific / Technical report
20. Griffin, E. A.; Verboom, W. H.; Allen, D. G. Paired Site Sampling for Soil Carbon Estimation: Western Australia, National Carbon Accounting System technical report No. 38; 2003; pp 125-136.
Patent / Standard
21. Standards Australia. Safety in Laboratories: Microbiological Aspects and Containment Facilities; AS/NZS 2243.3:2002; January 9, 2002.
22. Shara, K.; Schwedock, J.; Vogel, S. Microbiological growth media and methods of using the same; PCT/US2015/027652; 2015.
Note: Patent titles are not italicised.