• Use the Act's short title in italics
• Include the year following the title, whether or not it is included in the short title
• Include the jurisdiction in which the Act was passed
• Include pinpoint references of an abbreviation and a number, separated by a space
• The abbreviation should correspond to the highest ‘level’ cited in the pinpoint reference
• Use short titles for portions of legislation, rather than to the legislation as a whole
• Cite Commonwealth Acts first, then state and territory Acts in alphabetical order by jurisdiction if citing equivalent Acts across multiple Australian jurisdictions
• Statutes are considered 'media neutral', so do not include database, nor access date, in the citation
• Include an abbreviated form of the jurisdiction in which the Act was passed following the year.
• Include jurisdiction abbreviation in parentheses (round brackets).
• Jurisdiction should not be italicised (rule 3.1.3).
• Use the following abbreviations for Australian jurisdictions:
|Australian Capital Territory||ACT|
|New South Wales||NSW|
• Use an abbreviation of a designation and a number, separated by a space
• Place numbered or lettered subsections in parentheses immediately following the section number
• Do not separate the section number and subsection number by a space eg s 3(a), not s 3 (a)
• Use the abbreviation that corresponds to the highest 'level' of a section (or paragraph etc) for references to a section and a subsection (or paragraph and a subparagraph etc) eg s 31(1), not sub-s 31(1)
• Do not place a comma between each abbreviation-number combination where multiple combinations of an abbreviation and a number are needed to form one pinpoint reference eg pt III div 2, not pt III, div 2
• Use the whole of the decimal number preceded by the abbreviation of the lowest 'level' of section, part, chapter, etc, cited (eg s 2.3.5 not ch 2.3.5) where an Act uses a decimal numbering system (often in the form . . )
|s 2||s 108AB||sub-s (3)|
|pt V||s 5(1)||s 2(3)|
|ch III||s 14(1)(a)||s 28(1)(a)(i)|
|pt 7 div 3 sub-div 8||s 13 [Not: pt 2 s 13]||cl 14(3)(a)|
• Consecutive pinpoints should appear separated by an en-dash (–)
eg sub-ss (2)–(3)
• Non-consecutive pinpoints should be separated by commas
eg ss 5, 7, 9, 28
• Quotations of 3 lines or less should be incorporated into the text using single quotation marks.
• Quotations of 4 lines or more should appear indented from the left margin, in a smaller font size, and without quotation marks.
• Legislative and treaty extracts, however long, may also appear this way.
• Quotations should appear exactly as they do in the original source.
• Check the AGLC for exceptions.
• Unnumbered definitions should be cited as follows:
s(definition of ' ')
• If there are multiple paragraphs within the definition and a particular one is used, reference to the paragraph should be preceded by 'para'.
• If definitions are numbered, each definition should be cited as a normal section of an Act
Standard format for footnote
Standard format for bibliography
1 Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Act 2005 (Cth) pt 3A div 2.
2 Civil Liability Act 2003 (Qld) ch 2 pt 1 div 4.
3 Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) sch 2 ('Australian Consumer Law').
4 Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) s 9 (definition of 'administrator' para (a)(i)).
5 Criminal Code Act 1913 (WA).
6 Evidence Act 1995 (NSW).
7 Financial Framework Legislation Amendment Act (No 2) 2012 (Cth).
8 Financial Framework Legislation Amendment Act (No 3) 2012 (Cth).
9 Gambling Regulation Act 2003 (Vic) s 3.2.1.
10 Habeas Corpus Act 2001 (NZ).
11 Human Rights Act 1998 (UK) s 6(1).
12 Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 (Cth) s 20-110(1)(a).
13 Migration Act 1958 (Cth).
14 Migration Regulation 1994 (Cth) sch 2 cl 679.224.
15 A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Consequential Related Measures) Act (No 1) 1999 (Cth).
16 Property Law Act 1958 (Vic) s 3 (definition of 'legal practitioner').
17 Social Welfare Ordinance 1964 (NT).
18 Unlawful Assemblies and Processions Act 1958 (Vic) ss 5-6, 10-12, 26-9.
19 Wrongs Act 1958 (Vic) ss 28F—28G.
Example: Migration Act 1958 (Cth)
To refer to a section within the Act:
To refer to multiple sections of an Act together:
In footnotes: Migration Act 1958 (Cth) s 278
Rule 3.1.4 Pinpoint References, Rule 3.1.5 Multiple Pinpoint References, Rule 3.4 Delegated Legislation
To refer to a visa class
To refer to a visa subclass
To refer to a specific clause or sub-clause within a schedule