• Personal communications include
• Cite all personal communications in the Works Cited List.
• Do not include the protocol (http:// or https://) in URLs unless hyperlinking to the resource (unless using a software program such as EndNote that does not allow links without the protocol).
• Cite by title if no author or editor is given.
• Additional information must be provided (depending on the type of electronic publication) to correctly identify that you accessed the document in an electronic format.
• The authors' names are given as they appear on the publication you have used, i.e., use full first name where provided or first name initials where initials only are provided.
• Titles are given maximal capitalisation (title case)
Standard format for citation
ChatGPT or other generative AI:
Author. “Name of AI”. Website name, Web address.
Discussion board or forum conversation:
Author's Surname, Given Names. Comment on "Title or Description" thread. Title of Discussion Board or Forum, Date of communication, Time of communication, Internet address.
Email or text message:
Author's Surname, Given Names. Details of email or text. Date of communication.
Letters or memo:
Author's Surname, Given Names. Details of letter or memo. Date of communication. Manuscript or typescript.
Subject's Surname, Given Names. Interview. Conducted by Interviewer's Name, Date of interview.
Subject's Surname, Given Names. Telephone interview with the author. Date of interview.
Participant's Surname, Given Names. Personal communication with the author. Date of communication.
Generative AI (ChatGPT)
OpenAI. “ChatGPT”. Welcome to ChatGPT, chat.openai.com/.
Discussion board or forum conversation
Menard, Pierre. Comment on "Charles Baudelaire" thread. Literature Network Forums, 19 Oct. 2012, 10:18:00, www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?71800-Charles-Baudelaire.
Email or text message
Brown, Collette. Text message to the author. 23 Dec. 2015.
Fisher, John. Email to the author. 14 Apr. 2020.
Messingham, Penny. Email to the Copyright Council. 5 June 2018.
Letter or memo
Lawrence, Ruth. Memo to the Publications Standards Committee. 26 Apr. 1989. Typescript.
Orpington, Lucy. Letter to the author. 12 Jan. 2012. Typescript.
Parker, Dorothy. Letter to Robert Benchley. 13 May 1920. Manuscript.
Denton, Andrew. Interview. Conducted by Joseph Lang, 14 Feb. 2005.
Dyson, Alan. Telephone interview with the author. 18 Oct. 2019.
Leunig, Michael. Personal communication with the author. 6 July 2017.