From a full text database
• Full text databases include Academic OneFile, ProQuest, and PsycARTICLES, to name a few.
• Include the name of the database used and the DOI of the article; if no DOI is available, include the internet address.
From the internet
• Unlike journal articles from full text databases, these are often freely available on the internet.
• Some publishers offer recent issues for free and earlier issues for a subscription fee.
• Include the DOI or internet address.
Standard format for citation
From a full text database:
Author. "Title of Article." Title of Journal, vol., no., year, pp. pages. Database Name, doi: or internet address.
From the internet:
Author. "Title of Article." Title of Journal, vol., no., year, pp. pages. doi: or Internet address.
Journal article from a full text database
Holmes, Christopher. "The Limits of World Literature." Literature Compass, vol. 13, no. 9, 2016, pp. 572–584. Wiley Online, doi: 10.1111/lic3.12338.
Hill, Thomas D. "Beowulf's Roman rites: Roman ritual and Germanic tradition." The Journal of English and Germanic Philology, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 325-335. Academic OneFile, go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=AONE&sw=w&u=murdoch&v=2.1&id=GALE%7CA406902269&it=r&asid=9907188cb862743c5dc1c89bbd48ff1a.
Journal article abstract accessed from online database
Spencer, H.L. "Book and Verse: A Guide to Middle English Biblical Literature." Review of English Studies, vol. 52, no. 206, 2001, p. 249, Abstract. ProQuest, search.proquest.com.libproxy.murdoch.edu.au/docview/204775920?accountid=12629.
Please note: Abstract citations are only included in a works cited list if the abstract is substantial or if the full-text of the article could not be accessed.
Journal article from the internet: open access
Chartier, Roger. "Everything and Nothing: The Many Lives of William Shakespeare." Journal of Early Modern Studies, vol. 5, 2016, pp. 17-26, doi:10.13128/JEMS-2279-7149-18066.
Journal article from the internet: subscribed
Etherington, Ben, and Jarad Zimbler. "Field, Material, Technique: On Renewing Postcolonial Literary Criticism." The Journal of Commonwealth Literature, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 279-297, doi: 10.1177/0021989414538435.