• Only the author's initials are included regardless of the presentation of the author's name in the source document.
• The names of all authors should be given in the references unless the number of authors is greater than six.
• If there are more than six authors, you may use et al. after the name of the first author.
• Capitalisation practice should be consistent.
• Every (important) word in the title of a work must be capitalised.
• Only the first word of a subtitle should be capitalised.
• Capitalise the "v" in Volume for a book title.
• Information about places of publication should folllow the guidelines for place names.
Standard format for citation
[#] A. A. Author, Title: Subtitle (in italics), Edition(if not the first), Vol.(if a multivolume work). Place of publication: Publisher, Year, page number(s) (if appropriate).
[#] A. A. Editor, Title: Subtitle (in italics), Edition(if not the first), Vol.(if a multivolume work). Place of publication: Publisher, Year, page number(s) (if appropriate).
Single author or editor
Two or three authors or editors
More than three authors
Please Note: Documents authored by government departments are cited following the jurisdiction they report to. Precede the department name with Australia., Western Australia., etc.
Scientific / Technical report
Patent / Standard